Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Cherokee Translation of Thirteen Moons

Charles Frazier's Thirteen Moons is scheduled to be translated into Cherokee, according to an interview with Frazier that appeared in the Seattle P-I last month.
It is supposed to be one of the first major translations into Cherokee in over 100 years. The article did not mention who the translator would be, and I am curious to know what the process would be like.
I think it would be a great service if ALTA could become more involved with Native languages spoken in this hemisphere and see if there is a way to support translators working to and from Native languages. It would be fantastic if there would be a panel on Native languages at upcoming ALTA conferences. It was something I could only dream about when I was hosting the conference last year, and I hope that those of you who are thinking of hosting in the coming years would be able to find a way to forge the connections that would make this a reality.

No comments: